Vegan Galette des Rois

After a whole week sick with a (very) nasty flu I'm starting to feel a bit better, though I lost my voice and can't even talk. Luckily the fever's gone and my appetite is back right in time to enjoy all the Christmas feasts, and since I planned very well my holiday cooking I found some free time to make this vegan galette des Rois and write the recipe before X-mas Day. Actually this puff pastry cake is traditionally served during the 'Epiphanie' in France and Belgium, on january 6. Here in Spain we call this festivity the King's Day and the typical dessert we eat is a brioche ring cake filled with marzipan (like this one I made last year), of course I'm planning to do the traditional spanish recipe like I do every year but I wanted to try something different before the Christmas festivities officially kick off. Also, I can't say no to a good french dessert, specially if it's a galette des Rois filled with frangipane cream! Frangipane cream is the best thing I've ever tasted in my whole life! I did a vegan version and oh boy!, it tastes absolutely delicious and my frangipane cream is to die for: so velvety, not overly sweet..."c'est très bon!!!"
I would have loved to make homemade puff pastry but after being sick and all the Christmas prep I had to buy two sheets of puff pastry at the store, something I don't usually do but I was short in time. I promise there will be a homemade puff pastry recipe next year!



Vegan Galette des Rois
(6 to 8 servings)

Ingredients
- For the frangipane cream:
1 1/2 cups almond flour.
1/4 cup organic granulated sugar.
1 tablespoon cornstarch.
1/4 cup non-hydrogenated vegan margarine.
1/4 cup oat milk or almond milk, unsweetened.
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla powder.
1 recipe of vegan pastry cream (below).
- For the pastry cream:
1 1/2 cups almond milk.
3 tablespoons cornstarch.
1/4 cup organic granulated sugar.
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla powder.

2 sheets of vegan puff pastry.





Directions
In a large mixing bowl stir together the almond flour, sugar, vanilla and cornstarch until combined. Add in the margarine by the tablespoonful and mix with a silicone spatula, finally pour in the milk and mix until a soft cream forms. Cover the surface with plastic wrap and set aside while we prepare the pastry cream.
To make the pastry cream or vanilla custard dissolve the cornstarch in two tablespoons of almond milk and set aside.
Heat the milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat and add in the sugar and vanilla. When the milk begins to boil inmediately reduce the heat to low and stir in the cornstarch mixture while whisking constantly until the cream begins to thicken. Remove from the heat and whisk a bit more until it's soft and thick. As the custard cools it will thicken even more so don't worry if yours still look a bit liquid.
Once the vanilla custard is cold mix it with the almost-frangipane cream (the almond cream we made before), stirring with a silicone spatula until soft and fully incoporated.
Preheat the oven to 200ºC (392 ºF) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Roll out two sheets of puff pastry and using a big plate or a cake ring cut two discs of 28 cm (11-inch) diameter, transfer one of them to the prepared baking sheet
Brush the edges of the base of your puff pastry with a bit of water and carefully spread the frangipane cream all over the surface, I recommend using a pastry bag. Smooth over a little bit the cream to get an even layer and cover with the second disc of puff pastry. Seal the edges pressing down with your fingers and then make small cuts with a sharp knife around the galette. Brush the top of the galette with your favorite vegan egg wash and transfer to the fridge for about 1 hour before making the decorative pattern.
Brush the galette with a second "egg" wash and very gently create your favorite pattern with the back of your knife, you can draw leaves, lines, waves, let your imagination run wild! I followed this girl's tutorial and it worked like a charm!
Pierce the galette with a very sharp knife avoiding the center and making very small indentations so we don't ruin all that pretty design.
Bake the galette for 30-40 minutes or until it's browned on top and up the sides, and let it cool a little bit before serving. You can serve it warm (or at room temperature) with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, thick coconut yogurt or simply enjoy it au natural, which is my favorite way to properly enjoy a true galette des Rois.







Comments