Superfood Cacao Cookies

I made these cookies back in january for the first time and since them I've been baking several batches cause they are seriously delicious (and so easy to make!). Maybe I should have gone for a more spring-like/Easter recipe this week but it still feels like winter here in Barcelona even if the sun is finally out (I'm wrapped in my blankie as I'm typing this post). Talking about Easter, I'm so un-inspired this year! Maybe it's because I'm super busy working on collaborations and can't focus on other things and also my mom's birthday was just a few days ago and we ate too many brownies + vanilla ice cream to celebrate so I don't know what kind of non-chocolate Easter treat to do...I've always done super chocolatey desserts for this holiday but, should I keep eating MORE chocolate?! My chocoholic heart says 'yes' but my brain tells me I should eat more veggies or else that six-pack will never become a reality, lol. Owell, maybe if I just taste a small piece and give the rest to my family so I don't fall into temptation..?
Okay, back to these cookies: they are gluten-free and packed with many superfoods such as maca root powder, ground flax seeds, pure cocoa powder, cacao nibs, and I'd dare to say oats too, because they have so many health benefits that I consider them another superfood. Not only these cookies are quite good for you, they have an almost brownie-like center and taste incredibly good. For this recipe I like to use different nut butters each time but my faves are almond butter and tahini. Last but not least, when these cuties are in the oven the aroma is almost mesmerizing. Hope you enjoy them!



Superfood Cacao Cookies
(yield: 12-14 cookies)

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups rolled oats, firmly packed.
1/2 cup oat flour.
2 tablespoons maca rot powder.
2 tablespoons ground flax seeds.
2 tablespoons pure cocoa powder (or raw cacao powder).
1/2 teaspoon bakingg powder.
1/2 teaspoon bang soda.
A pinch of Himalayan pink salt.
A pinch of pure vanilla powder.
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted.
1/3 cup coconut sugar.
1/3 cup pure maple syrup (or agave syrup).
1/3 cup natural almond butter (or tahini).
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce.
- Optional add-ins (but recommended):
Raw unsalted cashews.
Cacao nibs.


Directions
In a large mixing bowl mix together the flour, cocoa powder, maca, flaxmeal, vanilla, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Use a hand whisk to distribute well all the ingredients. Add in the rolled oats and set aside.
In a medium mixing bowl whisk the coconut sugar, coconut oil, syrup, almond butter and applesauce. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and combine with a silicone spatula until well mixed.
Transfer the cookie dough to the fridge for 10-15 minutes, this dough is quite sticky so if it's cold it'll be easier to scoop.
Meanwhile preheat oven to 170 ºC (338 ºF) and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
Scoop around 2 tablespoons of chilled dough per cookie and roll into balls using your clean hands, transfer to the prepared baking sheets and gently press them down to form discs. Decorate the tops with cashews and cacao nibs.
Bake for 15 minutes approximately, but keep an eye on them cause they brown quite quickly! They will be quite soft straight out of the oven but will harden as they cool.
Carefully transfer the baked cookies to a cooling rack (I recommend using a thin spatula), and cool completely.
Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature.





Comments