Orange Energy Bites

It's so hot in Barcelona that turning on the oven is definitely something I'm not planning to do. I mean, there are so many delicious summery recipes and refreshing treats I feel they are a priority right now. I don't wanna regret in september not having done all the recipes I wrote down in my notebook right when the first signs of summer started to appear and I was all excited thinking about ice cream cones, watermelon gazpacho and mojitos.
Due to my crazy hectic schedule I'm publishing this recipe today, on a friday, instead of doing it earlier like I usually do. But I've managed to get a couple hours just for myself...which means blogging!
This is such an easy and quick recipe! Even faster if you have a good food processor cause it'll chop and mix everything together in no time. I've made several energy bites before and can't help but trying different combinations of nuts and fruits to get new flavors. They make a great grab-and-go snack and come in super handy when you need that extra dose of energy (and sweetness) after a workout session or a long day at work.
These orange bites, along with my lemon & ginger ones, are my favorite flavors at the moment. I hope you like them and if you try them at home don't forget to let me know, share a pic with me or you could make me even more happy if you tag me on Instagram, drop me a line or leave a comment on my Facebook page.



Orange Energy Bites
(yield: 20-22 balls approx.)

Ingredients
1 cup Medjool dates.
3/4 cup raw blanched almonds.
3/4 cup raw cashews.
2 tablespoons chia seeds.
1 1/2 tablespoons raw cacao powder.
1 tablespoon hemp protein powder.
1 tablespoon maca powder.
Ground ginger.
3 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut.
2 tablespoons unrefined coconut oil.
2 drops organic orange essential oil.
Freshly squeezed juice of 1/2 orange.
Cocoa powder (optional), to cover the balls.


Directions
In the bowl of your food processor place the almonds, cashews, chia seeds and coconut, and pulse until a coarse flour forms, around 1 minute.
Pit the dates, cut them in halves and squeeze the orange. 
Add all the remaining ingredients and process until a stick dough forms, it should have a compact consistency and you should stop the food processor a few times and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
Scoop out the mixture using a one-tablespoon measuring spoon and roll into balls using your hands. If the dough is quite sticky you can wet your hands a little bit or apply a tiny amount of coconut oil to avoid any mess.
Roll the balls in cocoa powder and place in the fridge for about 30 minutes before eating, they will firm up and taste even better!
Store the energy bites in the refrigerator, inside an airtight container.






Comments