Fancied-up Energy Bites

This week has been pretty hectic and I'm so exhausted right now I can barely keep my eyes open. But I wanted to share this quick and easy recipe with all of you before I log off tonight and get some well-deserved rest.
I haven't slept well these past nights due to the heat wave that we have in Spain, actually some nights I only managed to sleep for 4 or 5 hours. July is the hottest month of the year here in my city but, oh man! this summer we've broken some records!
I truly love summer, like I've said many times before it's my favorite season but the high humidity in Barcelona makes you sweat...so...much! Thankfully I have air-conditioning at home but leaving the AC running while I sleep makes me sick (plus the electric bill is so high!) so yeah, I've felt pretty exhausted, grumpy and in need of so many ice creams.
Needless to say my workout routine has been affected too, I've been doing shorter HIIT sessions but luckily it's already feeling like a normal spanish summer, which means that it's super hot but not to the level of so-scorching-hot-I-can-not-breath.
I love (well, who doesn't!) having nutritious and yummy on-the-go snacks and these energy bites are the perfect ones because of their size and also cause they are stored in the fridge so they are always fresh and available whenever you need to boost your energy or simply to satisfy those mid-morning or mid-afternoon cravings.
I've published this recipe before but this time I made a few changes, added some extra ingredients and, like the title of this post says, I fancied them up a little bit using different toppings...and that makes them even more irresistible! They are like a guilt-free version of the classic truffles.



Fancied-up Energy Bites
(makes 18 balls)

Ingredients
1/2 cup dates, pitted and cut in halves.
1/4 cup dried figs, chopped into quarters.
2 tbsp almond butter.
1 tbsp coconut oil.
1 tbsp cocoa powder or raw cacao powder.
1 tbsp chia seeds.
1 tsp ground cinnamon.
2 tbsp flaxmeal.
1 tbsp blend of milled flaxseed, cocoa and berries.*
1/2 tbsp maca powder.
1/2 tbsp pea protein powder.

- Toppings:
Cocoa powder.
Ground pistachios.
Shredded coconut.

* I like to use this prepared blend by Linwoods, but if you can't find it simply replace it with more flaxmeal.


Directions
Place all ingredients (minus the toppings) into a high-speed food processor and blend until smooth. Stop a few times and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula. Keep processing until a sticky ball of dough forms.
For each ball, scoop out 1/2 tablespoon of dough and use your hands to shape them into balls.
Finally roll in the cocoa, pistachios and coconut (6 balls for each topping).
Place in the fridge (inside an airtight container) so they harden a bit, for at least 20 minutes before eating.
Store refrigerated.




Comments

  1. I dont think I could cope with that heat I would pass out. Those energy bites look amazing they look like a posh box of chocolates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was almost unbearable! :-S Luckily it seems that nights are a bit less suffocating now, otherwise I'd have melted.
      Thanks for your lovely comment Rebecca, you are always so nice to me!

      xoxox

      Delete

Post a Comment