Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies (GF+V)

After a couple long months I finally decided it's not too hot to turn on the oven, honestly I haven't missed baking a lot since I've been doing all kind of raw desserts, no-bake treats and ice creams but these, my friends, are the last weeks of summer. One can feel the breeze is slightly more cold, the days are certainly shorter (ugh, I hate that part) and the sun shines in a more timid way. I don't know about you but there's a bittersweet vibe to the end of the summer that I used to hate (cause it meant I had to go back to school) but now that I'm an adult (?) I kind of like that feeling...maybe it's because I was born on september 18th and being a late-summer baby defines that melancholic Virgo personality of mine. Whatever it is, I don't want summer to end but thinking about being all cozied up at home with my warm cup of matcha latte while it's cold outside doesn't make me feel bad at all. Am I becoming an old lady?! Perhaps. But this old lady treated herself to a new camera (a Canon EOS 5d Mark IV....YASSS!), I'm officially a very happy and very broke girl right now! 
So all this blabbering was just my attempt at introducing you this new recipe: a few days ago I baked some delicious dark chocolate chunk cookies because cravings, and they came out so good and yummy that I only ate one warm cookie, set it all up and took some photos to write a new blog post. It's really hard to resist temptation when you know there's a batch of freshly baked cookies calling your name but a food blogger's gotta do what a food blogger's gotta do. :-p
I highly recommend to use your favorite dark chocolate bar instead of chips, the cookies will be more decadent and yummier...and one can rarely find some decently good store-bought chocolate chips. They never make high-quality dark chocolate chips, some of them claim to use dark chocolate but when I read the label and see up to 50% cocoa solids I just want to cry and laugh all at the same time, what kind of joke is that?! When I'm buying dark chocolate I expect it to be at least 70 % dark.
I'm especially proud of these cookies cause I managed to make them not only vegan but also gluten-free and they have a really nice soft texture, and if you like crispier edges simply flatten them a lil bit more and bake for a couple extra minutes.
Now let's enjoy that delightful scent of freshly baked cookies!

Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookies
(yield: 12 big cookies)

Ingredients

1/2 cup almond flour.
1/2 cup gf oat flour.
1/4 cup potato starch.
2 tablespoons ground flax seeds.
1 teaspoon baking soda.
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
1/4 cup coconut oil.
1/3 cup almond butter.
1/3 cup coconut sugar.
2 tablespoons unsweetened plant-based milk.
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup.
Pinch of pink Himalayan salt.
1/3 cup dark chocolate chunks, preferably 70-72 % cocoa solids.


Directions
Preheat oven to 180 ºC (350 ºF) and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a large mixing bowl and using a hand whisk stir together almond flour, oat flour, potato starch, flax meal, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
In a medium bowl whisk the coconut oil, almond butter, coconut sugar, milk and maple syrup, until fully combined. Stir the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and mix with a silicone spatula until a cohesive dough forms. Stir in the chocolate chunks.
Scoop around 1 tablespoon of dough per cookie and leave enough space between them (even though these cookies won't spread too much, but I recommend it anyways). The cookies are quite big so you will most probably need two baking sheets. Slightly flatten them with the back of a spoon and bake for around 15 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
Let the cookies cool in the baking sheets for 5 to 8 minutes and transfer to a cooling rack until completely cold (if you can resist).
Store in an airtight container at room temperature.




Comments