Tofu Chocolate Mousse

Looking at the pictures of this delicious chocolate mousse makes me feel so crazy hungry, like really really hungry! I think this will be a great dessert to treat my mom this Sunday as we celebrate Mother's Day in Spain that day (it's always on the first Sunday of May). Of course I already got some nice surprise gifts for her and since my mom rarely uses the internet and won't be reading this post I am not spoiling the surprise if I tell you I got her some spring clothes and a bouquet of white roses if I find the right ones...I'm so picky when it comes to bouquets and flowers, especially roses! Those who follow me on Instagram already know how much I love flowers, I think it's my third favorite thing after chocolate and lipsticks, lol.
The base of this plant-based mousse is tofu, you can use silken tofu for an extra velvety and smooth texture but I tried this recipe with regular tofu too and the result was equally good. This is the perfect dessert for chocolate lovers and pairs so well with fluffy and tasty coconut whipped cream; of course you can opt for leaving this mousse au natural and top it with some chocolate shavings, cacao nibs or cocoa powder. But I highly recommend you to try the whole combo, it's pure bliss for your taste buds.
Needless to say this is way healthier, and honestly, tastes so much better than a lot of store-bought chocolate mousses. A lot of them are loaded with too much white sugar and other unnecessary artificial ingredients; it's been ages since the last time I bought this kind of refrigerated dessert.
So to all my followers from the States (¡y los que me estéis leyendo aquí en España!), go to the kitchen and make this easy chocolate mousse for your mama and I'm sure you'll earn some bonus good son/daughter-points!



Tofu Chocolate Mousse with Whipped Coconut Cream
(4 servings)

Ingredients
- For the mousse:
1 package (12-15 oz/400-440g approx.) silken tofu.
4 tablespoons pure cocoa powder.
2 tablespoons carob powder.
1 teaspoon pure vanilla powder.
6 tablespoons soy or coconut cream.
5 tablespoons agave syrup or pure maple syrup.
- For the coconut whipped cream:
1 can full fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight.
1 tablespoon agave syrup.
Cacao powder, to sprinkle on top.

Directions
A day before getting started with the recipe remember to place the can of coconut milk in the fridge to set overnight so the cream will separate from the liquid. Coconut milk from a carton won't work because it doesn't contain enough fat.
- To make the chocolate mousse:
Drain well the tofu and cut it into squares. Add it to the bowl of your food processor along wth rest of the ingredients and pulse until completely combined and soft. It should be quite thick and no bits of tofu should be visible. You might need to stop a few times and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
Divide the mousse evenly between four cups, small serving bowls or ramequins pressing down a little bit to properly fill each cup, you can use a pastry bag to distribute the mousse easier. Transfer to the fridge while we prepare the coconut whipped cream.
- To make the coconut whipped cream:
Open the can of coconut milk and scoop out the thick white cream (save the liquid for future recipes like smoothies). Place the cream in a big mixing bowl and beat at high speed with a mixer until fluffy and creamy. Add the agave syrup and mix until thoroughly combined, one tablespoon should be enough.
Decorate each cup of mousse with the whipped cream and dust lightly with cocoa powder.







Comments

  1. Such a unique recipe Gemma. The mousse looks incredible I hope your mum enjoyed it and had a lovely Mothers day. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca! This mousse is truly delicious and even my parents (which aren't used to what they call 'hippie food', tofu, etc.) loved it! :-)

      xo

      Delete

Post a Comment