Breakfast Cookies

As some of you may have noticed (well, it's kinda obvious) I designed a new header for the blog. I wanted to change it for a looong time but since yours truly is always in busy bee-mode I didn't manage to do it until now. It's something more simple and clean than the previous header and I also want to change the blog's layout but this will take me some time to do it since I'm considering to finally give Cinnamon Girl a more professional look (to have my own domain, a modern template, etc.). I'm gonna need lots of patience and good luck vibes, so please send me some my way!
These days, apart of trying to figure out all this 'html' things I managed to bake some seriously good for you and delicious breakfast cookies; packed with lots of nutrients, healthy fats and zero refined sugar...and also they are dairy free and egg free. Yeah, they really taste super good, spiced and not overly-sweet.
Bake them, taste them, enjoy them and let me know what you think!

PS: the weekend is almost here, yay!



Breakfast Cookies
(yield: 15-16 cookies)

Ingredients
3/4 cup sprouted spelt flour.
1/2 cup quick-cooking rolled oats.
1/2 cup quinoa flakes.
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cornstarch.
3 1/2 tablespoons flaxmeal (ground flax seeds).
3/4 teaspoon baking soda.
A pinch of Himalayan pink salt.
1/2 cup coconut sugar.
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger.
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg.
1/4 teaspoon allspice.
A scant 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil.
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce.
1/2 cup mix of nuts, roughly chopped.
1/4 cup dried cranberries.


Notes:
- You can use regular spelt flour instead of the sprouted variety.
- If you can't find coconut sugar replace it with the same amount of panela (also known as 'rapadura), which is raw cane sugar.
- I always recommend using a fruity variety of olive oil for baking sweets. My favorite one is the spanish oil made with Arbequina olives.
- When I make these breakfast cookies I like to throw in whatever little leftovers of nuts I have in the kitchen, such as almonds, walnuts, cashews, etc. They don't need to be finely chopped.
- I recommend using natural dried cranberries, without added sugar.


Directions
Preheat oven to 170 ºC (338 ºF) and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a large mixing bowl mix all the dry ingredients using a wire whisk: oats, quinoa, flour, cornstarch, flaxmeal, baking soda, salt, coconut sugar and spices. Stir well until thoroughly mixed.
In a smaller bowl beat together the oil and applesauce, add in to the dry mixture and stir until well mixed.
Finally stir in the chopped nuts and the dried fruit (cranberries in my case).
Using a measuring tablespoon as the reference (1 tablespoon equals 15 ml) scoop out rounded portions of dough and distribute them onto the baking sheets. Don't forget to leave enough space between them in order to prevent them from sticking together, though these cookies usually don't spread too much like regular ones. Lighlty press down each cookie ball with your hands to flatten them just a little bit and bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown and edges start to get crispy.
Let cookies rest in the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.
Store them in an airtight container at room temperature.






Comments

  1. Love the new header! Sometimes less is more. These cookies will be a great snack while you're working hard on your blog. Sending good vibes your way! Always excited to see what you're up to next. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have all these ingredients in my cupboard!!! must try!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment