Lemon, Coconut & Ginger Energy Bites

I hate to put all my blogging tasks on hold, it really makes me feel frustrated and even though I swore to myself that I will learn to say 'no' more often, that I will  prioritize and don't put myself last (almost) every time...well, here I am, writing this post way later than expected and with lots of pending recipes waiting to be published. Can't stop yawning, I'm tired, my back hurts from coughing so much (first nasty flu of the season) and the post-christmas cravings are really making me feel grumpy. I guess all those small negative things sooner or later hit you and makes you lose perspective.
Okay, enough with the psychological rant. At least I managed to do some seriously ass-kicking workouts this week and looks like it helped me to ease the symptoms of the flu (also, adding fresh ginger to my tea works like a charm).
These energy bites have become my best friends lately, they are the perfect healthy on-the-go snack and an excellent treat after a workout session. When I'm halfway thru my workout and feel pretty exhausted it helps me to think that these protein-packed bites are waiting for me in the fridge. They are naturally sweetened (dates and dried figs, yum!), gluten-free, dairy-free and raw, plus you can make a big batch in the blink of an eye.
It's great to enjoy something so delicious and nutritious that help you get through the day and is filled with plant protein. Hope you like them as much as I do!





Ingredients
(yield: 22 balls approximately)

3/4 cup dates.
1/4 cup dried figs.
3/4 cup raw almonds.
3/4 cup raw cashews.
2 tbsp chia seeds.
1 tbsp coconut oil.
Juice of 1/2 lemon.
Zest of 1 lemon.
2 tbsp protein powder.*
3 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut.
Ground ginger, to taste.

* The protein powder I used contains: pea protein, hemp protein and carob powder.



Directions
In the bowl of your food processor place the almonds, cashews, chia seeds and coconut and pulse until a coarse flour forms, around 1 minute.
Pit the dates, cut them in halves and chop the figs. Also zest and squeeze the lemon.
Add all the remaining ingredients and process until a stick dough forms, it should have a compact consistency.
Scoop out the mixture using a one-tablespoon measuring spoon and roll it into balls using your hands.
Place in the fridge for about 30 minutes before eating, they will firm up and will taste great!




Comments

  1. I hope you feel better soon. It is hard to balance everything in our lives and maintain a blog but I think your doing a wonderful job, these energy bites look yummy and would be a perfect pick me up when Im flagging at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca! I'm doing quite better today, still feel congestion but no more soreness which is great cause I missed my workout sessions so much! Exercise helps me to relieve stress.

      xoxo

      Delete

Post a Comment