Cake for chocaholics

I think the title says it all, this cake is THE CAKE for every chocolate lover. It's made of ground almonds and no wheat flour so the texture is deliciously soft and tender. Its taste reminded me a bit of the Mississippi Mud Pie but it's less dense and a bit more fluffy.
Of course you can always add some frosting or a creamy filling but since I'm a confessed chocaholic and it was my first time trying this recipe I opted for the most 'purist' version: 100% chocolate cake, nothing more, nothing less.
Owell, I added a small scoop of vanilla macadamia nut ice cream on the plate. ;-)

Descárgate aquí la receta en español!

Chocolate Cake

Ingredients
(preferably in room temperature)
100g butter chopped in small squares.
150g good quality dark chocolate.
6 large eggs, whites and yolks separated.
150g ground almonds.
1/2 tbsp Kirsch liquor or Cointreau.
100g sugar.
pure cocoa powder.
crème fraîche, ice cream, etc. to accompany the cake.

Directions
Preheat oven to 170ºC (338 ºF). Grease the pan and line it with baking paper (I used a 23cm diameter pan).
Chop the chocolate into small chunks and melt it together with the butter; remove from the heat and set aside to cool for about 5 minutes.
Using a large bowl put the chocolate and butter mixture inside and add in the egg yolks, the ground almonds and the liquor (optional).


Beat (adding a small pinch of salt) egg whites adding gradually the sugar, until stiff, firm peaks form; you should get a quite consistent meringue.


Add two tablespoons of the meringue to the chocolate batter and mix carefully the rest.


Pour batter into pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. Do not overcook the cake cause it'll came out too dry.
Pull the pan out of the oven and let the cake cool inside the pan.
Later, remove the baking paper and garnish with cocoa powder dusted over the top. Serve with a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream.




This recipe is featured on Lisa’s Sweet As Sugar Cookies Blog (recipe #161). :-)

Comments

  1. it's looks so good! definitely making this one!!


    http://speakmylanguages.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just the color of that alone shows me how rich and chocolaty this must be. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your cake up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/03/sweets-for-saturday-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks girls! Would love to see your results if you try out this recipe! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love this! and i love your blog! sooo following you! hope you do the same! (even though our blogs are of two completely different topics. haha!)

    http://samalamode.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Sam: Thanks a lot for your comment! Means a lot to me since I'm a newbie in the blogosphere! :-)
    Of course I'm gonna follow yours!
    Actually we have a lot more in common than you'd have think, coz I run a fashion blog with my sister!
    Check it out and let me know your thoughts, we'd love to have you in our followers list!

    www.thedevilikesyourstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. yum so pretty and looks delicious oh my goodness! thanks for sharing! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my goodness, i want that right now! it look delicious! what a cute blog you have! i'm following :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment